Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chick-fil-A
My efforts to get the girls to the Library for story time was futile today. Maybe it was due to the lack of cooperation getting ready and a screaming baby. Who knows? Any who, I had told Marley we were going to do something fun today. I needed to run to Babies-R-Us to get a present for Brooke and Brad's little one, so the only fun thing I could think to do was to hit up Chick-fil-A on our way. Driving to Asheville by myself with two kids even for just one errand takes the entire day. Marley Ruth just couldn't contain her excitement when she found out we were going to the Chicky. I love the place bc of these things: polynesian sauce, the milkshakes (I could stop here), chicken sandwich, waffle fries, place mats for children (they stick to the table btw. genius.), the old people who smile @ you and bring you straws, and the indoor playground. I gotta tell you that I dislike Chick-fil-A for one simple reason: lunch time with the stay @ home moms. It's like a secret cult. Dress your kid up in the cutest Gymboree or Old Navy dress, strap the biggest bow you can find on your kids head ( i like bows, but not when they eat the kids head), make sure their crocs are spotless and sit around and talk about your facebook page. I don't mean to sound cynical it's just that it feels like Middle School, a place in which I never want to return. I just want to eat chicken and laugh at Marley Ruth running a muck. I heard a nanny say, "Elaina, go down the slide like a lady". She was referring to a little 2 year old girl in an adorable dress. What? We are at Chick-fil-A? I wanted to say, "Elaina, smear some bbq sauce on your face, tuck your dress in between your legs, and go up the slide instead of down, Marley Ruth will go with you". (Gee, why does Marley wear me out?;). No one loves a cute dressed up little girl like I do, it's just that us moms have gotten so consumed by how our children appear that we forget that they are just KIDS! Maybe if our kids are cute we will get compliments that make us feel like "good moms". I didn't realize the pressures that moms feel until I became one. The constant fear of failure or that our kids won't be accepted by others. Man, it is overwhelming.  Whatever it is, we don't need affirmation from man (or other moms) to be loved or accepted. God's got that one covered. Let's just all go to Chick-fil-A in our play clothes, get dirty, laugh, and have fun!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree! Of course, this is from the Mom who forgot all day to brush her child's hair... and she has a lot of it to comb...:) Oh well- she still had fun, got lots of love and gave me lots of smiles! :) I will go with you to any playground any day and insist that they go up the slide backward and swing as high as they can go!