Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Kid is Better Than Yours.....
....that is what you are thinking anyway. When my kid is screaming in the super market, "I DON'T WANNA RIDE IN THE BUGGY!" you roll your eyes and think, "I'm glad my little angel doesn't act that way". Just to let you know for two years I have cried and asked God why my child isn't mild mannered and peaceful like other children I see. I consistantly did the whole "cry it out" method with Marley Ruth. It took over five months for her to get it, while my friends babies were driffting off into a quiet slumber. We sit and eat at the table almost every night. She is underneath it, around it, and on top of it. I have put my kid in time out and spanked her numerous times, and in return she grins. She runs....EVERY WHERE. The guilt of being a bad mom and comparing my child, and my parenting skills consumed me until three months ago. That's right...when my second little off spring was born. From the moment she came out she slept peacefully. In her third month, she just lays there cooing (i hate that word) and grinning. But all she does is lay there or sleep? Marley Ruth could roll over from both sides and hold her passy before three months! You see, I'm not crying anymore because I know that God gave Marley Ruth to Brent and me for a reason. We are still figuring out all of the reasons;). Maybe if you would have had her you would not have been able to handle her free spirit. My child is my child. She has a fun, people loving, care free, and creative spirit. Yes, I have to work twice as hard with her in the area of discipline, but I love every moment. The reason you don't understand is because you had a "Farrah Blake" first, and you think the reason they are easy is all because of you. WRONG!  Marley Ruth and Farrah Blake have their little personalities and quirks because God knit them that way in my womb (or uterus... whatever you wanna call it). Your child had their personalities long before you started making them "cry it out". Yes, I agree we are to guide and discipline. Make no mistake I see nothing wrong in being firm (i have to do it a thousand times more than you). Just don't judge or roll your eyes when you see another mom struggle with her kid. She might be doing the same things as you are or even more with her child. It just might take our children a little longer to get it, but we have more interesting stories than you;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are a wonderful mother with some of the coolest kids I know!!!
I mean honestly I will never forget Marley Ruth lookin up at me with her little I love you sign language yelling I love you!!
They are the best I promise!
I love you and your beautiful family!!
xoxo
Brittany Barrie

Unknown said...

This blog note is why I avoided the grocery store for several months with Ella... afraid of that look because you don't know when they are going to fuss or yell to talk (which is what she is doing right now...) I am over it! :) You are a great mom and Marley Ruth is just full of personality!
Let's get together sometime soon.
Megan

erinshelton said...

Coming from a mom of Marley Ruth incarnate, I totally understand you. As I read your blog just now, I was listening to Lucy McLean screaming like someone "sawed her arm off" (Melissa's words) because Kyndall stole a toy from her. Thank the Lord for a patient friend who keeps LM!!! I know that it is hard not to compare yourself to other moms. I do it ALL THE TIME. I do, however, realize more and more every day just how fun and "full of personality" (the world's way of saying... spunky little wild child) our girls are. Live it up!!! Thank you for the reminder that the Lord knew what he was doing when he placed these little rascals in our care. Good thing we have Him in control of this journey of parenthood.

You are an inspiration to me.

Love ya!
Erin